Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Sssstrrrrriiiike!

Well at 3am today the Transit Workers Union went on strike causing the public transportation system to come to a halt. And since most of the citizens of NYC depend on public transportation to get around this is a big problem.

It took my boss 1hr and 50min to drive in to work today. Normally this is only a 20min drive. Ann Taylor offered the corporate employees the option of working at the nearest store instead of making the journey into Manhattan. So we had four corporate employees with us today.

When I came home for lunch I discovered that J had decided to go to the office today. It took him 1hr and 45min to walk to work (5.3 miles). Here's a picture of the foot traffic over the Brooklyn Bridge:



Apparently many were willing to walk instead of paying for a cab into the city. Normally cab prices aren't bad, but the strike is allowing cab drivers to take more than one fare at a time and charge a minimum of $10 and add another $5 per zone. To find out more about the stike contingency you can visit nyc.gov

While I waited for J to make the return walk home (another 5.3 miles) I made 'wreath cookies'. These are a traditional cookie at the Gary Kanne Household and my mommy was nice enough to send the recipe. Here's how they turned out:



Aren't they pretty? Jared got home at 9:30pm and we each had some cookies. Which turned our mouths green:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home