My civil duty...
On Monday I made my first ever appearance for jury duty! I dragged myself to the Kings County courthouse arriving at 8:45 am, exactly on time. I entered the jury pool room with about 60-75 other potential jurors and we waited and waited and waited.
Finally some guy (he never really said who he was) entered the room. He put on a video about the history of trials, which started with the very logical method of "If they float they're guilty, if they sink they're innocent" and ended with our current system of trial by jury.After the video the guy gave us a short spiel of the procedures, which mainly consisted of "unless I ask you, please do not approach the counter". And then we waited and waited and waited.
Right before lunch about 18 people were pulled into a separate room. Then we had about and hour and a half to eat. When we got back I took a short nap :)
Finally the guy announced that our "torture" was over and he'd see us "in about 8 years".
Glad to have that out of the way. Although it would have been rather exciting to be chosen for a trial.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home